Give Privly a Try
Follow these steps to learn how to sign up for Privly and make your first post using it. We're in alpha development, so assume everything you post using Privly is public.
1. Download the extension
a. Go to the Privly add-on on Firefox Add-Ons
b. Click on "Continue with Download" next to the Privly extension
c. Click Accept and Install
d. Click "Install Now" because you trust us. Really, you do.
e. Ok, now you should see the "Privly" icon on the right-hand side of your URL bar
2. Get an account
b. Enter in your email address and click the "sign up" button. No, don't enter firstname.lastname@example.org. Enter YOUR email address :)
c. Now you should get this message:
d. Once we give you an account, you'll get an email that looks something like this:
Click on the Accept Invitation link!
e. Create and confirm your password
f. You should see this page:
Ok, let's ignore this page for now and move forward...
3. Post content
Ok, there are 3 ways to post content to Privly. We'll go over one way.
a. Log in to Privly....
Go to a website that has a text box, and right click in it. For this example, I'm using The Facebook. Click on "Login to Privly".
Enter in the email address you signed up with, and the password you set earlier.
You should get a notice that you're logged into Privly:
b. Now that you're logged in, type in some text, and right-click again. Choose "Create a Privly Post".
(Note: you can also create a ZeroBin post - that will encrypt your content)
c. Privly does some magic, and automatically injects a link. Click "Post" if you're on Facebook.
d. Now if you look at your post, you should just see "Hippos!" or whatever text you decided to input. Users who don't have Privly will just see the link from the previous step.
And you're done! Wasn't that fun? Have fun posting! And don't forget to submit bugs
You can manage your content at https://privlyalpha.org/posts.
A whole bunch of disclamers
The extensions are in alpha and are under active development. Check back later if you do not like change and filing bug reports. We will announce developments on Privly's Twitter account.
Please note that the extension does not currently offer:
•Protection from governments
•Protection from our hosting provider
•Protection from the domain name system
•Or security of any kind
We made the extensions available so you can test it out with your favorite site, but until we tell you otherwise, post with the expectation that it is public. If you just want to see whether Privly works, you can try the steps below. If you want to join the Privly testing program, you should subscribe to this mailing list, then watch this video.
NOTE: If you want to use your own text to create a new public Priv.ly link, you need a Priv.ly account. Currently, we are selectively giving access to users (Kickstarter backers, conference attendees, developers).
Old Documentation (and works if you don't have an account):
1. Download Extension
- Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privly/
- Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pkokikcdapfpkkkjpdaamjanniaempol
- Opera: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/privly-2/?display=en
2. Try reading Pre-Existing Links on These Pages. We've already posted using Priv.ly. Now that you have the extension in your browser, go to these pages and see what we said.
- Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002254562518&sk=wall
- Twitter Link: https://twitter.com/#!/PrivlyTest
3. Try posting yourself. Take our already created public Priv.ly link and post it to your favorite site.
- I just tried out Privly!... https://priv.ly/posts/74#privlyInject1
- Give Me Liberty or Give me Death...https://priv.ly/posts/3#privlyInject1
If you're using dev.privly.org, use this link
- Give Me Liberty or Give me Death...https://dev.privly.org/posts/3#privlyInject1
4. If you have any problems, please submit a bug report.
Thanks for trying out Sharing Priv(ate)ly,
The Priv.ly Team